Sunday, July 6, 2008

Canadian Comic Insider Interview with DFG Co-publisher, Darryl Andrews



By Millicent Mortificus:

Darryl Andrews is widely known as the creator of Captain Nepto, "Canada's Favourite Adventure Strip Character Since 1981." However, he is also one of the guiding lights of DFG Comics, having been part of its life since its inception. Mr. Andrews granted us this rare interview over martinis just moments before the gala dinner and ball at the recent Iqualuit Comicon, in which he was inducted into the Nunavut Comic Book Hall of Fame.

CCI: Mr. Andrews it is pleasure to have this opportunity to discuss your career in the comic industry. How does it feel to be receiving this prestigious award?

DTA: I'm grateful for the award, but typically awards are reserved for the end of careers. I've got lot's of new found energy and stories to tell. I feel more creative then I did even back in the 1980's when DFG was at it's strongest!

CCI: You were in on the ground floor of DFG... Could you describe those early days.

DTA: I remember reading Dan's first comic [Spy #1] when I visited from Newmarket and was so jealous. He was excited about getting to work on #2 and I told him to go ahead; that I would work on a comic on my own so that we would each have a comic-book. Side by side that day we completed a few pages of what is now Spy-Comics #2 and Captain Nepto #1!!

CCI: When you created Captain Nepto it was originally under the DTA imprint. Can you describe how DTA came under the DFG banner?

DTA: Since we were working side by side on the comics and enjoying sharing with each other our creations; we wanted to advertise each other's comic in our own comic. Being extremely intelligent eleven year olds, we realized that this was considered a no-no in the comic business or any other business for this matter so we solved the problem the best way we knew how...we decided to publish under one banner. The decision to use DFG was quick as I simply felt that Dan was the pioneer and deserved the acknowledgement. In a serious note, working together under one banner has strengthened our friendship as we both feel very responsible to the entity known as DFG Comics.

CCI: Can you speak a little bit about your creative process. By this I mean, how does a Captain Nepto comic come together?

DTA: Sometimes it's a one line plot that I draw basic panels and fill in the rest of the story. Other times it's a very long process that requires revisiting a plot a number of times to find some sort of plausible ending.

CCI: What has surprised you most during your 25+ years in the industry?

DTA: How much of myself I can see in the character of Captain Nepto. Also, the passion and fun Dan and I have when we get together and plot these character's lives. We really care about our creations and feel very responsible about telling their stories.

CCI: Okay... Everyone wants to know... Why did you originally draw Captain Nepto with a wig?

DTA: My art was terrible. I mean terrible. I knew Dan didn't like it, but he was still excited about seeing new stories. The wig was my attempt at adding detail to the art. Detail...can you believe it? Anyways, later it became a protective piece of armour to save Nepto from head injuries.

CCI: Describe your relationship with Dan Graves.

DTA: Dan is the model of a true friend. People make choices that others tend to judge and assume the role of those choices as if they had made them. This often causes trouble in relationships since the support system is disrupted. I have always appreciated Dan for his friendship and support of my decisions regardless of whether or not they have seen to be sound decisions at the time. He is also a very kind, generous man who shares my love and passion for comics. I have no idea why he chose a con like me for a friend.




CCI: What's "Dan's Hell-hole?"

DTA: Dan's Hell-hole was an "in-office" lampoon of life at DFG headquarters. It was a good-natured poke at Dan and the DFG leadership team. It made it look like DFG was an absolutely horrible place to work, which of course it isn't. It was all in good fun. I'm not ashamed of it, although I think that all the copies have been destroyed. I don't know who drew it, but I think it might have been Todd Abbot.

{BTW - this is the Official Company answer found in all DFG employee manuals - meant to be memorized by all staff and tested monthly in order to check compliance}

CCI: Aside from Nepto, what has been your most enduring creation?

DTA: Carnage City. On a separate afternoon, visiting Dan again in Richmond Hill, we began at the beginning of the Dictionary and went word for word through it looking for a city to base our heroes in. At the top of my list was Carnage. Dan agreed with the name and we've used it ever since. I'm half surprised that Frank Miller didn't steal it for his graphic novel. That's American's for you....too dumb to read Canadian comics!

CCI: How has it been working with Todd Abbot again?

DTA: I love Todd. I hate Todd. I'm happy he's around to quickly get out some stories...and I do like some of his new Nepto stuff....I guess I just have to submit and realize that he's always going to be a big part of the Nepto legend.

CCI: What can you tell us about the change of direction that we are going to see in the August issue of Captain Nepto Prime?

DTA: Since issue one I've tried to kill Nepto. It's true. I think the measure of a hero is how many times he can face the greatest adversity and still continue. In the August Prime I've penned my greatest tale to date. I'm really going to do my best to destroy everything about the character and leave only a broken David Anderson.

CCI: What can you tell us about future projects at DFG?

DTA: There will be more Spy Classics, Retro-Spy, Annuals and a lot from the back catalogue being re-issued.

CCI: Can you describe some of your corporate duties at DFG head office?

DTA: My top job is to bring an increased awareness to the company. I am actively trying to build our readership to new heights.

End of Part I

No comments: